Performs regular ultrasound exams and echocardiograms. As an assistant supervisor, oversees unit activity in a manner, which promotes efficient use of resources and high quality diagnostic service.
*Complies with PENN HIGHLANDS CLEARFIELD policies and procedures, accreditation agency requirements, and federal, state or local law and regulations
1. Performs ultrasound procedures in assigned area.
a. Performs ultrasound procedures as assigned and according to established protocols and time frames.
b. Responds to emergency requests when on call.
c. Is pleasant and cooperative when performing job duties as evidenced in daily communications and demeanor.
d. Calculates and records measurements as required by the procedures.
e. Daily operates equipment according to unit policy/procedures and manufacturer’s recommendations.
2. Completes written documentation including department logs, patient histories, and other as requested.
a. Completes documentation required at the end of each exam and submits with files.
3. Assists in coordination of scheduling and assigns work as an assistant supervisor
a. Prepares on call schedule in absence of supervisor.
b. Prepares staff schedules in absence of supervisor.
c. Coordinates assignment of patient exams in absence of supervisor.
d. Assures completion of patient schedule by assignment of add- ons, and request to staff to work overtime as needed to complete schedule.
4. Assists patients into area and cares for patient during exam.
a. Provides appropriate level of care for patient during exam.
b. Provides appropriate level of verbal and physical assistance for patients before and after exam.
5. Instructs students by example and explanation.
a. Daily exhibits professional behavior as evidenced by appropriate actions.
b. Provides adequate and accurate information to students.
c. Educates students to unit/hospital policies and procedures.
6. Inventories supplies and completes necessary forms.
a. Inventories supplies weekly and completes supply forms as designated.
7. Recognizes and responds to malfunctioning equipment.
a. When equipment malfunctions, immediately reports to supervisor or designee.
8. Participates in clinical training for ultrasound student.
a. Provides detailed information to ultrasound student during each exam they observe.
b. Provides adequate and direct support to ultrasound students when they attempt exams.
c. Assists ultrasound student in evaluation of images.
d. Teaches exam protocols to student.
e. Serves as a resource to students as they progress in the clinical training.
f. Provides indirect supervision for student during advance training.
g. Assists in providing appropriate educational materials for the student.
9. Must be able to demonstrate competency to provide appropriate care to the age of the patients served in his/her assigned area. The skills and knowledge needed to provide such care must be gained through education, training or experience.
a. Identifies growth and development principles.
b. Demonstrates application of growth and development principles.
c. Demonstrates age-appropriate communication skills.
d. Assesses and interprets age-specific clinical data.
e. Provides patient care and performs treatments with age-specific considerations (i.e., equipment, medication administration.)
f. Involves family/significant other in plan of care.
General duties as directed.
Graduation from two (2) year Allied Health Program and certification, required.
Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer or eligible, required.
One year previous experience in abdominal OB or vascular ultrasound, preferred.
Ability to assess and respond to patient needs.
Flexible working hours.
Must be available to take calls for emergency ultrasound procedures.